If you want to climb without instruction, you must first be assessed.

As with almost all climbing walls, if you’d like to climb using the ropes unsupervised during public climbing times then you must have an assessment first. You can use the bouldering wall without an assessment if you complete a “bouldering only” disclaimer form at reception on arrival.

All public climbers (for ropes and bouldering) are strongly advised to always check the SCW Calendar before heading down for a climb.

Need an assessment?

If you’re a climber at Calshot Activity Centre then you won’t need an assessment. Click here to find out more.

To get assessed with us you can either turn up at one of the published assessment times on the calendar or get in contact to book a more suitable time. It will take about 5-10 min for us to check to see that you can correctly, competently and without assistance:

  • Put on a harness
  • Tie a re-tied figure 8 knot with a double stopper knot
  • Belay with an appropriate belay device
  • Communicate efficiently between climber and belayer
  • Understand the SCW safety rules

Can I sign a friend in?

Yes, if you are signed off with a supervising climber status. No, if you are signed off with an individual climber status. What will affect your status is how regularly you’ve been climbing recently and how confident you are at the above skills.

Want to learn some more?

If you’re not quite ready to pass an assessment then there are still lots of ways to come climbing at SCW:

What if I’m under 18?

If you are 16 or 17 then you can be assessed to climb at SCW providing you have a completed parental consent form. All under 18s must be accompanied by an 18 or over although, this adult does not need to be a climber. This might be a parent who just sits and reads a book. Under 18s can only be signed off as individual climbers; anyone who is 15 or under must always be signed in by a supervising climber and cannot be signed off themselves.

We recommend that under 18’s wear a helmet whilst climbing but this is up to the supervising adult to decide.